Getting out of your vehicle at a busy intersection or on a highway to change a tire or make a repair is probably one of the worst things you can do. If your vehicle does breakdown we recommend using the following precautions:
- Never get out of the vehicle to make a repair on a busy highway. Get the vehicle to a safe place before getting out.
- If you can't drive the vehicle, it is probably safer to stay in the vehicle and wait for help or use a cell phone to summon help. It is usually a bad idea to stand outside the vehicle in the flow of traffic.
- Immediately turn on your hazard lights.
- Use flares or triangles to mark your location once you are on the side of the road. Marking your vehicle's location provides advance warning to other drivers.
- In the case of a blowout or a flat tire, move the vehicle to a safer place before attempting a repair—even if it means destroying the wheel getting there. The cost of a tire, rim or wheel is minor compared to endangering your safety.
Learn about the South Carolina Auto Insurance Policies We Offer
At Farm Bureau Insurance in South Carolina, we offer auto insurance policies for your personal and business vehicles. With these policies, you'll get the same customer service and competitive rates you expect from our property insurance policies. Speak with a local agent today to learn more about our policies.