How much is homeowner's insurance in SC?

Most of our South Carolina homeowner's insurance policies contain similar basic coverage options, but the amount of coverage and specifics of the coverage can vary by the type of policy you have. Your local Farm Bureau Insurance agent will help you find the best coverage for your situation, review your policy with you, and answer any questions you may have.

Get a Quote


At Farm Bureau Insurance, we offer competitive rates on our South Carolina homeowner's insurance policies, but you can save even more by taking advantage of our discounts. 

  • Account Discount: Save 10 percent when you have a homeowner's policy and personal auto policy insured under the same membership.
  • Protective Devices Discount: The amount of discount varies based on the type of alarm installed in your home.
  • Loss-Free Discount: Save five percent if you have a homeowner's policy in force for five or more continuous years with no lapses in coverage and you have been loss free.

Available Coverage

Dwelling Protection

As the name indicates, Dwelling Protection protects the dwelling (building) on the residence premises that is used as your private residence.

Protection for Other Structures

You might have other buildings on your property that are separate or detached from your primary residence. This coverage provides protection for other structures on the residence premises set apart from the dwelling by clear space. Your Farm Bureau Insurance agent can review the specifics of the policy and coverage limits.

Personal Property Protection

Your home is more than just brick and mortar. Your personal property – like furniture, artwork and other possessions – is also important to you. The items inside your home are covered under your homeowner's policy under Personal Property Protection. Be sure to discuss your policy limits with your local Farm Bureau Insurance agent to determine if you may need to raise the limits for your personal property.

Loss of Use

If your home is damaged by a covered loss and deemed unlivable, you'll need to find another place to live while your home is repaired. Loss of Use covers additional living expenses (up to the limits of your specific policy) if your home becomes uninhabitable due to a covered loss.

Personal Liability

If someone is injured or their property is damaged while they are at your house, Personal Liability Coverage helps protect you and your family against a claim or lawsuit.

Medical Payments to Others

Medical Payments to Others coverage pays reasonable and necessary medical expenses to anyone who is injured while at your home and who does not live with you.

Additional Coverage Options

  • Umbrella Policy: Depending on your financial situation, you may need to consider purchasing an excess liability policy, also called an umbrella policy, to protect your personal assets. 
  • Earthquake and Flood Insurance: A homeowner's insurance policy typically does not cover losses resulting from flood damage or from earthquakes. Consider purchasing a separate flood or earthquake policy. 
  • Personal Property Floater Endorsement: This floater provides additional coverage over what is provided for within your homeowner's policy for valuable items, such as jewelry, silverware, and guns. Your local Farm Bureau Insurance agent can review your policy limits and help you determine if a personal property floater is right for you.
  • Boat and ATV (All Terrain Vehicles) Endorsement: This endorsement may be right for you if you would like to purchase physical and/or liability coverage for a small boat or an all-terrain vehicle.

This information is only a general description of the available coverage and is not a contract. All coverage types are subject to availability and qualifications.