You may not be worried about damage from flooding because you don't live near the coast or another body of water. No matter where you live, the fact is everyone should be concerned about flooding.

Your homeowner's insurance does not cover damage caused by flooding. A separate policy must be purchased through the National Flood Insurance Program. Your Farm Bureau Insurance agent can assist you with purchasing a flood insurance policy for your home in South Carolina, whether it's near the coast or in the Upstate. A Farm Bureau Insurance agent can also answer questions you may have about an existing flood policy.

Importance of Flood Insurance

Statistics show that during the course of a 30-year mortgage, a home is three times more likely to be damaged by a flood than by a fire.

Because all it takes is a few inches of water to damage your home and its contents, it is important that you get covered. Since homeowner's insurance does not cover flooding, it's important to have protection from the floods associated with hurricanes, tropical storms, heavy rains and other conditions that impact South Carolina.

A flood insurance policy offers coverage for both the structure (your home) itself and your personal property, including furniture, electronic equipment and other items that can be damaged by flooding.

Low-Risk Flood Areas

Even if you live in a low-risk flood area, your home may still be at risk. Each year about 25 percent of all flood claims are filed by people who live in low-to-moderate risk areas.

Don't take an unnecessary risk with your home. If you live in a low-risk area, you may qualify for some of the lowest premiums available through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). Speak with a local Farm Bureau Insurance agent to get a flood insurance quote for your South Carolina home.

Getting the Right Flood Insurance

A flood policy provides coverage for personal property damaged by rising water. When buying a flood policy you may select from several coverage options including:

  • Coverage for the building only
  • Coverage for the contents only
  • Coverage for both the building and contents

It is important to understand the limits of coverage available under a standard flood policy. Coverage is limited up to $250,000 on the structure itself and contents coverage is limited up to $100,000. If you need additional coverage, you may purchase an excess flood policy. Your agent can help you get a flood insurance policy through NFIP and an excess flood insurance policy to make sure you have the right amount of coverage.

30-Day Waiting Period

Typically, there is a 30-day waiting period before a new flood policy or changes to an existing policy are effective. That's why it is especially important that you purchase a flood policy before severe weather threatens your area.

Get a Quote